CHOCOLATE & ALMONDS
Torta Caprese is one of our top picks when it comes to Italian desserts. This rich chocolate cake was first made on the island of Capri in 1920's. It was created by mistake when pastry chef Carmine Fiore forgot to add the flour to the cake he prepared. The cake turned out not only delicious but a unique delicacy - soft inside and crunchy outside.
Torta Caprese became very popular both in Italy and in the rest of the world and is prepared for all occasions. Ground almonds are used in place of flour, making it a great option for those on gluten free diets.
Torta Caprese due to its rich chocolate taste goes well with whipping cream or a schoop of vanilla ice-cream.
COOKS IN: 50 MINUTES
- 185 g almonds
- 125 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 125 g butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon of Grand Marnier or rum
- icing sugar for decoration
- Place the chocolate, broken up, in a metal or glass bowl over a bain marie. When melted remove the bowl from the heat and add the butter, stirring with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula to help it melt.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the egg yolks with 80 g of sugar and orange peel until smooth. At this point add one tablespoon of desired liqueur.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg yolks and mix with spatula. Add ground almonds to this mixture. Beat egg whites with the remaining sugar and add them to chocolate almond mixture.
- Grease and flour the pan and pour the batter into it. Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes. Cooking time may vary from the oven to oven but remember that this cake must be wet inside.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Decorate Torta Caprese with icing sugar when it's completely cool.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Torta Caprese
You may also like