Flourless Chocolate Cake
Torta Caprese is one of our top picks when it comes to classic Italian desserts. This rich chocolate cake originates from the beautiful island of Capri near Naples and was created by mistake when the pastry chef forgot to add the flour to the cake. The cake turned out not only delicious but unique with its amazing crispy crust and moist centre.
Torta caprese is a simple cake with only several ingredients that can be whipped up in an hour. The original recipe usually features blanched almonds pulverized into flour but we used a combination of ground almonds and finely ground hazelnut flour. Of course, to get this super-rich chocolate flavour you need to use quality dark chocolate with no les than 70% cocoa. To enrich the aroma of the cake one tablespoon of rum or any other liqueur would be enough.
But as far as chocolate cakes go, Torta Caprese is the ultimate for us. It's dark and not too sweet, which would detract from the richness of the cake. It has the simplicity of Italian country cakes, but an elegance that is unique. You only need a small slice of the cake with some whipped cream on the side.
COOKS IN: 1 hour
- Place the chocolate and butter in a metal or glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a wooden spoon or a silicon spatula until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Separate the egg yolks from whites. Place the egg yolks with 60 g sugar in a medium bowl and beat together until smooth. Add one tablespoon of rum or any other desired liqueur to this.
- Gradually pour the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks and mix until it is combined. At this stage add both the ground almonds and hazelnut flour and stir together until everything incorporated.
- Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar (40 g) and fold these gently into the chocolate batter until no traces of white are left.
- Line the bottom of the springform cake tin (23 cm in diameter) with the baking paper and grease it and sides with butter. Pour the batter into prepare tin and bake in the preheated oven to 170°C for about 15-20 minutes). Cooking time may vary from the oven to oven, but note that cake should be moist. Check the cake by inserting the tootpick in the middle. It should not be comletely dry but with crumbs attached on it.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes in the tin. Take out from the tin and remove the baking paper. Decorate with icing sugar when it's completely cool.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Torta Caprese
Other recipes you may like