A Story about Taralli & Tarallini
Taralli & tarallini are popular snack from the Southern Italy and can be sweet or savoury
Tarallini - tasty Italian snack
Taralli are tasty snacks usually enjoyed with a glass of wine or any other drink. They originate from Puglia region in the very south of Italy. These snack food is among the most popular snacks in southern Italy. They also come in smaller version called tarallini.
They are made of flour, yeast, olive oil, white wine and salt. Original version is spiced with fennel seeds and black pepper but there are numerous versions with spiced with different herbs or some other spices. Tarallini are usually served in bars in Italy along 'an aperitivo'. Tarallini can be found in food shops in Italy but you can also try to make this tasty snack at home using this original recipe.
- 500 g plain flour
- 10 g salt
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 200 ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds or other herb or spice
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and fennel seeds (or some other spice). Add the olive oil and wine and mix with a fork until the dough forms into a rough mass. Knead the dough on a wooden board for about 5 minutes, until it is smooth. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Take a piece of dough, roll first between your hands and again on the wooden board so that the dough forms a thin rope (1 cm in diameter and 10 cm long). Shape each rope into a ring and seal the edges together.
- Place taralli on the wooden board and cover with a towel. In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil. Put 5-10 pieces of taralli into the boiling water and when they float to the surface (around 60 seconds) remove them from the water and place on the cloth to dry and cool.
- When they cooled place them on the baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 200° C for about 25 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the baking sheet and let them cool. Store taralli in a closed container to keep them crisp and serve with an aperitivo.
Home > A Story About Taralli
You may also like