Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Sugar-free Chestnut Flour Cookies
Chestnut Flour Cookies
Chestnut flour may seen like unusual ingredient to bake with, but if you are making sugar-free cookies you will definitely need this ingredient.
You will definitely love these thin and crisp sugar-free cookies made only from healthy flours. Besides chestnut flour for these cookies we use also almond flour and whole grain spelt flour. This combination gives cookies natural sweetness and a perfectly light texture.
These delicious cookies are so simple to bake and will definitely become your new favourite sugar-free cookies!
How to make sugar-free chestnut flour cookies
For this cookies first sift the chestnut flour and combine with almond and spelt flours, baking powder, grated lemon zest, salt and Amaretto liqueur. Add cubed butter and rub into the dry ingredients. For delicious nutty flavour add finely chopped pistachios. Work with your hands until you get a compact dough. Leave aside to rest for 20 minutes. Roll out the dough thinly and cut desired cookie shapes. Bake in the oven for a short time (5 - 6 minutes) until golden round the edges. Remove the cookies from the baking tray with metal spatula.
Tips for making sugar-free chestnut flour cookies
- The chestnut flour is ideal ingredient for cookies. It is gluten-free flour made from ground dried chestnuts and has its natural sweetness which is ideal for reducing the amount sugar or any other sweetener needed in the recipe. We didn't add any additional sugar as they are perfectly sweet. Be sure to sift the chestnut flour as it tends to compress into lumps.
- When baking cookies be sure not to overbake them as they are thin and will dried out. Remove them with thin metal spatula from the baking tray once baked.
- To ensure crunchiness and special nutty flavour we added a finely chopped toasted pistachios. To give some freshness to the cookies we added grated lemon zest from the organic lemons. Amaretto accent the delicate almond note in these cookies.
All your favourite recipes in one place
You may also like following recipes
Chestnut Flour Cookies
COOKS IN: 45 minutes
- 120 g chestnut flour
- 120 g almond flour
- 40 g whole grain spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 140 g butter
- 30 g pistachios
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- Sift the chestnut flour to get rid of the lumps and combine together with almond and spelt flours, baking powder and salt. Add finely grated lemon zest and a tablespoon of Amaretto liqueur.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and rub it into the flours until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add finely chopped pistachios. Mould the dough together with your hands to form a ball, set aside to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough as thin you dare (1.5 - 2 mm thick) and cut out into shapes using your favourite cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake in the preheated oven at 170°C for 5 - 6 minutes, until golden round the edges. Let cookies cool for about 3 - 4 minutes on the baking tray before moving them.
Some other recipes you would love