Home > Italian Pasta & Gnocchi Recipes > Spelt Gnocchi
Italian gnocchi are among our the most favourite food and we love to prepare them in a variety of ways. We have interesting recipe for gnocchi made with spelt flour instead of plain wheat flour. These gnocchi are healthier version of gnocchi and are easier to digest.
First you will need to use floury potatoes which are the best for preparing gnocchi as they contain more starch and gnocchi will be light and fluffy. Also be careful no to add too much flour as gnocchi will be heavy.
We like to test the dough by rolling a small piece into a gnocchi shape. If it sticks to much we add some more flour. You should ideally stop when the dough is just slightly sticky.
To enrich the taste in this recipe we added finely chopped fresh parsley. Cooked spelt gnocchi can be used in many ways. You can just toss them in a butter on a frying pan until golden or pair with a simple tomato sauce or pesto alla genovese sauce. If you are looking for a proven recipe for original potato gnocchi, check out here.
MAKES: 400 g
COOKS IN: 1 hour
- 500 g potatoes
- 80 g spelt flour
- 1 medium egg
- Fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and cook for about 20 - 30 minute or until you can insert a fork into the potatoes.
- Remove from the heat and rise the potatoes under the cold water to cool them, then drain well. Take out the peel and mash potatoes. Place on the working surface and stir in the egg, flour, finely chopped parsley and season with salt. Quickly form a dough that isn't sticky but is still soft enough.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll out each into a log about 2 cm in diameter. Using the knife cut each log into 2 cm pieces. Roll each piece with the edge of a fork to create ridges. Place gnocchi on a lightly floured surface and leave for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Cook gnocchi in a large amount of salted water for about 1 - 2 minutes or until they start to float on the top of the water. Take them out gently with slotted spoon and serve with any kind of desired sauce.
Some other recipes you would love