Home > Italian Snack & Appetizer Recipes > Scagliozzi Polenta Chips
Scagliozzi - Polenta Chips
Polenta is prepared and served in a variety of ways in Italy and can be enjoyed hot or cold, sweet or savoury. One of the simple treats made from polenta are scagliozzi - polenta chips.
Scagliozzi are simple snack originated from south of Italy which is very popular street food. For this snack you will need only a few ingredients you already have at home.
Scagliozzi are usually fried but if you look for healthier version you should bake them in the oven. To get richer flavour to scagliozzi add to polenta some grated cheese, pieces of bacon or prosciutto. You can also add aromatic herbs such as origano, basil etc.
Scagliozzi can be enjoyed as a snack or with any dip or sauce such as tomato sauce.
Scagliozzi Polenta Chips
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus chilling time
- 750 ml water
- 180 g instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 15 g butter
- salt & freshly ground balck pepper
- sunflower oil for frying
- Bring the water to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan, then lower the heat.
- Add the butter, salt and pepper and stir to dissolve. Pour in the polenta slowly stirring constantly, to make sure the mixture is smooth, without lumps. Simmer the mixture very gently, until polenta becomes very thick (2 - 3 minutes).
- Oil a shallow pan and pour the polenta into it. Spread out evenly, using a spatula. Set aside to cool for several hours.
- Turn the polenta onto a clean working surface and cut into rectangles and then cut each rectangle diagonally to get two triangles.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and fry polenta chips until the pieces are golden brown all over turning them several times. Transfer them onto the plate lined with kitchen paper. Enjoy scagliozzi while still warm!
Other recipes you would love