Home > Potato Pizza Dough
Potato Pizza Dough
This is an unusual pizza base made from mashed potatoes and flour. In southern Italy, mashed potatoes are used to make the dough which results in a very tender, delicious crust. This potato crust can be topped with a variety of toppings like any other pizza. You can top this base with sliced potatoes, a mix of cheeses, some chopped rosemary, sea salt and a drizzle of good quality virgin olive oil.
One of the most favourite pizza in Italy is the one where dough is topped with thinly sliced potatoes, some cheese, fresh herbs and drizzle of virgin olive oil. For this dough you should use yellow starchy potatoes for a creamy and smooth mash.
Sprinkle some cheese on the top, spread out sliced potatoes, sprinkle with the rosemary, stripes of pancetta or prosciutto and cracked black pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil. Check out our suggestion for pizza with zucchini and pancetta.
To add more flavour to this base, you can include dried or fresh herbs, fried chopped onion, grated cheese or even a grated carrot. Any of these will add a delicious subtle taste to your pizza base.
Potato Pizza Dough
MAKES: 300 g
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- 300 g yellow potatoes
- 60 g butter
- 125 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into smaller pieces. Put them in a large pan, cover with cold salted water and place on the heat. Once the water reaches boiling point, lower the heat to medium and simmer the potatoes uncovered for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Using potato ricer mash the potatoes and stir in the butter until it has melted and is distributed evenly throughout the potatoes. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the mashed potatoes. Add salt and using you hands mix everything until soft dough is formed.
- Either roll out or press the dough into a 25 cm circle on a lightly greased baking tray or pizza pan. This base is tricky to lift before it is cooked, so you will find it easier to handle if you roll it out directly on the baking tray.
- Top your pizza with toppings of your choice and bake in the preheated to 200°C or until the crust is golden brown and the top has begun to crisp (around 20 minutes). Cut into wedges and serve.
Some other recipes you would love