Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Necci Chestnut Flour Pancakes
Chestnut Flour Pancakes
We adore sweet chestnut flour which we use for preparing many baked sweets. This rather unknown flour made from dried and grounded chestnuts is a gluten-free flour. It has natural sweetness which is great for reducing the amount of sugar in recipes.
If you are after something sweet but healthy and easy to make, prepare traditional Italian necci pancakes. You will be amazed how easy necci can be made. Just make a simple chestnut flour batter and fry thin pancakes with a real autumnal taste.
This sweet, nutty pancakes couldn't be easier to make and are ideal as breakfast or dessert. You can enjoy them plain or with a dollop of fresh ricotta cheese.
How to make necci pancakes
For making necci combine the chestnut flour with salt then gradually add water and whisk together until you get a smooth batter. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Let it rest for an hour then fry necci on non-stick frying pan until they are evenly browned. Serve plain or filled with ricotta cheese!
Useful tips for making necci - chestnut flour pancakes
- Be sure to sift the chestnut flour before adding to other ingredients as it tends to compress itself into lumps. The chestnut flour can be found at your local health food store.
- For frying use a non-stick skillet (greased with an oil) so these pancakes don't stick. Also gently use a silicon spatula to loosen pancakes all the way around before flipping on the other side.
You may also like following recipes
Necci Chestnut Flour Pancakes
COOKS IN: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY: Super easy
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 200 g chestnut flour
- 300 ml water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Olive oil for greasing
FOR THE FILLING
- 200 g fresh ricotta
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sift the chestnut flour in a medium bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add water gradually and whisk together until you get a smooth and dense batter. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cover with plastic lid and let it rest for at least one hour.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (greased with an oil) over a medium heat. Pour a ladle of batter into the centre of the pan. Tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly, then cook until the edges start to firm up and the bottom is evenly browned, approximately 2 minutes. Gently use a spatula to loosen all the way around the pancake before flipping. Cook the other side until evenly browned before removing from heat.
- Transfer the necci to the plate and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with a tablespoon of sugar. Spread it onto a each necci, wrap the edges of the necci around the filling and serve immediately.
Some other recipes you would love