Marzipan Spelt Cookies
No Christmas table is complete without trays of delicious cookies. These simple cookies will melt in your mouth and are sure to have guests coming back for a second handful.
We used combination of plain and spelt flour which with addition of ground walnuts gives richness to the texture. Special ingredient in this recipe is marzipan which can be bought from food stores or can be made at home from almonds, sugar and egg whites. We absolutely love the burst of flavour that these cookies have, thanks to fresh orange zest and orange juice.
These cookies are the perfect finish to a brunch, lunch or dinner but are also suitable for breakfast and snacks. Keep them in an airtight container.
COOKS IN: 40 minutes plus chilling time
DIFFICULTY: Super easy
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g spelt flour
- 250 g butter
- 80 g caster sugar
- 100 g walnuts
- 100 g marzipan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- grated zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- pinch of salt
- Cut the slightly softened butter and marzipan into a big mixing bowl, add the juice and zest of one orange. Beat with an electric mixer until you get a creamy texture.
- Combine both the plain and spelt flour in a medium bowl and then add baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add ground walnuts to the butter mixture. Now gradually add flours and work everything with your hands until you get a compact dough. Wrap it in a cling film and put in the fridge to rest for about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and line the baking tray with baking paper.
- Dust the working surface with flour and roll out the dough to 3-4 mm thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place the cookies onto the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are slightly brown at the bottom. Allow to rest for 2 minutes and remove them from the tray to cool completely.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Marzipan Spelt Cookies
You may also like