Flourless Orange Cake Recipe
This soft and juicy gluten-free orange cake makes an impressive dessert for any occasion
In winter time orange trees are full of ripe oranges tempting us to turn them into some amazing juicy desserts. The possibilities are endless, starting from moist cakes, crunchy cookies or creamy tarts.
Our favourite is this flourless orange cake made with almond flour (almond flour is made from blanched almonds that are ground and sifted into a fine flour) which is naturally gluten-free and therefore suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
In this recipes be sure to use non-treated oranges as you will use the flash and the peel by smashing them into orange pureé. This is why this cake has a bit of bitterness when you eat it.
We decorated the cake with flaked almonds which becomes toasted during the baking making an interesting contrast to the soft cake. At the end we dusted the cake with some icing sugar!
COOKS IN: 1h 45 minutes
- 3 medium organic oranges (about 600 g orange pureé)
- 6 medium eggs
- 100 g sugar
- 200 g almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- 50 g flaked almonds
- icing sugar for dusting
- First you need to prepare the orange pureé. Wash the oranges and put them in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and simmer for about one hour, adding a little hot water if the level gets too low. The cooking softens the orange peel. When this happens remove them from the water, drain and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare 24 cm-diameter spring-form pan by lining the bottom with baking paper and greasing the sides. Trim the ends of the oranges, halve them and remove any seeds then coarsely chop the oranges. Make a smooth pureé using hand blender or a food processor.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl to just combine. Fold in the orange pureé, then the almond flour, baking powder and one tablespoon of amaretto liqueur in the end.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top of the cake. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and the centre of the cake is firm when pressed gently with your fingertip. Let cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cook completely before dusting with icing sugar.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Flourless Orange Cake Recipe
You may also like