Crispy Spice Cookies Recipe
We all love Christmas time when the houses are filled with scent of freshly baked cookies. We have a recipe for cookies which are ideal treat for family and friends popping over during the festive season.
Combination of plain, chestnut and almond flours makes cookies taste richer. We used only few tablespoons of sugar as the chestnut flour is the sweet one and adds enough sweetness to the cookies. Oat flakes together with almond flakes are what gives cookies that lovely crunchy texture.
These cookies pack warm winter spices like anise, clove and black pepper. We suggest you to buy whole spices and ground them by yourself in an electric coffee grinder to give a little extra crunch to the cookies. These spice cookies can be stored in an airtight container but we don't think they will last for a long as they are so tempting.
COOKS IN: 60 minutes plus chilling time
- 120 g plain flour
- 80 g chestnut flour
- 60 g almond flour
- 40 g instant rolled oats
- 20 g flaked almonds
- 20 g muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 g chocolate drops
- 130 g butter
- 1 medium egg
- Grate zest of 1 organic orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Sift the plain and chestnut flours togehter with baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the almond flour, muscovado sugar, spices, grated orange zest and a pinch of salt.
- Using your fingers rub the cubed butter into the dry ingredients until you have a mixture that looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Add instant rolled oats along with coarsely chopped almond flakes and chocolate drops.
- Add one egg and bring everything together with your hands until it forms a compact dough. Shape the dough into a square, cover with cling film and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 2-3 mm thick and cut into shapes using your favourite cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven to 160°C) or until lightly goden. Leave to cool on the tray for about 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and keep in an airtight container.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Crispy Spice Cookies Recipe
Selection of great Italian cookbooks
Other recipes you may like