Crispy Spice Cookies Recipe
We all love Christmas time when the houses are filled with scent of freshly baked cookies. We have a recipe for cookies which are ideal treat for family and friends popping over during the festive season.
Combination of plain, chestnut and almond flours makes cookies taste richer. We used only few tablespoons of sugar as the chestnut flour is the sweet one and adds enough sweetness to the cookies. Oat flakes together with almond flakes are what gives cookies that lovely crunchy texture.
These cookies pack warm winter spices like anise, clove and black pepper. We suggest you to buy whole spices and ground them by yourself in an electric coffee grinder to give a little extra crunch to the cookies. These spice cookies can be stored in an airtight container but we don't think they will last for a long as they are so tempting.
COOKS IN: 60 minutes plus chilling time
- 120 g plain flour
- 80 g chestnut flour
- 60 g almond flour
- 40 g instant rolled oats
- 20 g flaked almonds
- 20 g muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 g chocolate drops
- 130 g butter
- 1 medium egg
- zest of 1 organic orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- icing sugar for dusting
- Sift the flours and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in almond flour, muscovado sugar, spices, orange zest and a pinch of salt.
- Using your fingers rub the cubed butter into the dry ingredients until you have a mixture that looks like coarse breadcrumbs. At this point add instant rolled oats, coarsely chopped almond flakes and chocolate drops.
- Add one egg and work together everything with your hands until it forms a compact dough. Shape the dough into a square, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 2-3 mm thickness, cut with desired cookie cutters and place them onto baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven preheated to 160°C for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Leave them to firm up, then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely, dust with icing sugar and keep in an airtight container.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Crispy Spice Cookies Recipe
Other recipes you may like