Crema Pasticcera Recipe
Crema pasticcera is an Italian version of pastry cream which is used in many classic Italian desserts such as torta della nonna, filled castagnole, bigne di San Giuseppe, zuppa inglese etc. It can also be served plain accompanied with fresh fruits, pannettone or dry cookies. This crema is prepared from several ingredients. Besides classic crema pasticcera which is usually flavoured with vanilla there are also other flavoured versions of this cream - chocolate, coffee, lemon, pistachios etc.
Shop from a range of amazing products
SERVES: 250 ml
COOKS IN: 15 minutes
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 60 g sugar
- 30 g cornstarch
- 400 ml milk
- 200 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- lemon zest of half lemon
- Place the milk, cream and peeled lemon zest in a saucepan to boil. In a glass mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and until you get smooth texture (without any lumps).
- When the milk is boiled, take it from the heat and remove the lemon peel from it. Place a one scoop of the milk into the egg mixture and whisk well. Now place the egg mixture into the milk and cook on the low heat continuously whisking until it thickens (approximatelly 3 minutes). In the end add a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Transfer it to a bowl and let it cool, place some plastic wrap directly on the surface of the cream to prevent a skin from forming as it cools. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Serve in a glass bowls or use to make one of many Italian desserts.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Crema Pasticcera Recipe
Other recipes you may like