Creamy Orange Tartlets Recipe
These impressive little tartlets are an irresistible combination of tender orange curd and crunchy pastry. They are made in individual tartlet tins because you're not going to want to share with anyone. The pastry is not only made with plain flour, but also with chestnut, almond and coconut flours giving the pastries special texture and flavour.
We filled pastries with orange curd made with eggs, orange juice and few tablespoons of sugar. In order to get some bitterness to the curd we added a juice of half of lemon. These tartlets may look hard to prepare but once you try out, you will see that it's pretty easy. At the end decorate tartlets with some chopped pistachios or grated orange zest. The orange curd can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to use. Just be sure to cover with cling film to prevent from drying out.
COOKS IN: 60 minutes plus chilling time
FOR THE PASTRY CRUST
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 organic oranges (zest + 300 ml juice)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 20 g caster sugar
- 10 g corn starch
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- First you need to prepare orange curd as it will need to cool completely before filling the pastries. Finely grate the orange zest and then squeeze oranges and lemon to get 300 ml of juice.
- Place the juice together with orange zest into a pan over a medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, sugar, corn starch and water in a separate bowl until everything combined. Now, slowly pour orange juice into the egg mixture. Return to the pan and cook gently for about five minutes, stirring continuously, until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and cube and stir in the butter and whisk until you get smooth texture. Let cool at room temperature before filling the pastry cases.
- To prepare the pastry sift chestnut and plain flours in a large bowl. Add other dry ingredients - almond and coconut flour, fine oat flakes, crushed flaked almonds, muscovado sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add the butter straight from the fridge into dry ingredients and rub in the mixture. Pinch the pieces of butter so they become smaller and more integrated.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add one egg yolk. Work everything together with your hands until it comes together in a ball. Shape the pastry into a square, to make it easier to roll out later.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and place in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and lightly flour a work surface. Roll out the pastry to 2-3 mm thickness then use it to line 6 loose-bottomed tart tins. Using your hands, gently press the dough into the tins and trim off any excess.
- Bake into preheated oven to 175°C for about 10 minutes or until they begins to turn golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Now, pour the orange curd into the the pastry cases and decorate with grated orange zest or chopped pistachios. Remove the tartlets from the tins and serve. For special occasions, dust the tart top with icing sugar and blast a blowtorch over it for a thin layer of caramel.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Creamy Orange Tartlets Recipe
You may also like