Creamy Orange Tartlets Recipe
These impressive little tartlets are an irresistible combination of tender orange curd and crunchy nutty flavoured pastry.
They are made in individual tartlet tins because you're not going to want to share with anyone. For the pastry we used a combination of plain, chestnut, almond and coconut flours which gives tartlets that special flavour and texture.
Tender and soft orange curd is made with eggs, orange juice and a few tablespoons of sugar with addition of lemon juice. It can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to use. Just be sure to cover with cling film to prevent from drying out.
Once you fill the pastry shells with orange curd decorate them with chopped pistachios or grated orange zest.
These creamy tartles may seem hard to prepare but once you try out, you will see that's pretty easy. You will be rewarded with delicious tartlets that can be served at any occasion from afternoon tea to an elegant party.
Creamy Orange Tartlets
COOKS IN: 60 minutes plus chilling time
FOR THE PASTRY CRUST
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 organic oranges (zest + 300 ml juice)
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 20 g caster sugar
- 10 g corn starch
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- Make the orange curd first so it has plenty time to cool before filling the pastries. Finely grate the orange zest and then squeeze oranges and lemon to get 300 ml of juice.
- Place the juice together with orange zest into a pan over a medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl whisk egg yolks, sugar, corn starch and water using a wire hand whisk. Slowly, pour the orange and lemon juice into the egg mixture. Return to the pan and cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and cube and stir in the butter and whisk until you get smooth texture. Leave to cook at room temperature before filling the pastry cases.
- To make the pastry sift plain and chestnut flours into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add almond and coconut flour, instant rolled oats, crushed flaked almonds and muscovado sugar. Mix everything together.
- Add the butter straight from the fridge into dry ingredients and rub in the mixture. Pinch the pieces of butter so they become smaller and more integrated.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add one egg yolk. Gently work it together using your hands until you have a ball. Don't work the pastry too much or it will become elastic and not crumbly. Wrap the dough with cling film and place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and lightly flour a work surface. Roll out the pastry to 2-3 mm thickness then use it to line 6 loose-bottomed mini tart tins. Using your hands, gently press the dough into the tins and trim off any extra pastry. Prick the dough with the tines of a fork all over.
- Bake into preheated oven to 175°C for about 10 minutes or until they begins to turn golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Now, pour the orange curd into the the pastry cases and decorate with chopped pistachios or grated orange zest. Remove the tartlets from the tins and serve. For special occasions, dust the tart top with icing sugar and blast a blowtorch over it for a thin layer of caramel.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Creamy Orange Tartlets Recipe
Other recipes you may like