Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Chocolate Mousse with Caramelised Almonds
Chocolate Mousse with
Chocolate mousse is a great dessert which can be whipped up quickly and you need only whipping cream and quality dark chocolate. We added also caramelised almonds which adds such a lovely crunch and caramel flavour to this sweet.
For this recipe you can use any type of chocolate and it comes down to personal taste. We use 70% cocoa dark chocolate because it has a good intense chocolate flavour, it's not as sweet as milk chocolate and gives intense chocolate flavour.
Once made you will get light and airy but still rich chocolate mouse and it's actually quite straight forward to make.
How to make caramelised almonds (pralines)
In this recipe we used caramelised almonds to enrich the taste and texture of this chocolate mousse. Pralines are caramelised nuts and are usually used in creams or dough when making desserts. It is easy to make this interesting sweet. Pralines can be done with any kind of nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, pecan nuts etc.
For our recipe we prepared almond pralines. To make it you need to place the sugar in the heavy-bottomed saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of water. Put over medium heat and let it melt. Once the sugar is melted and dark brown quickly add chopped almonds. Mix quickly with a wooden spoon so the nuts are coated with the caramel.
Caramelised almonds also known as pralines
Pour the mixture on the oiled surface and let it cool. Once cooled, you can crush it using a rolling pin or using a food processor make a powder which can be added to the creams, cake butters of sprinkle on desserts. Pralines can be kept in a glass airtight jar for a week or two at room temperature.
Chocolate Mousse with
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus chilling time
FOR CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 160 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
FOR PRALINES (CARAMELISED ALMONDS)
- 60 g caster sugar
- 30 g almonds
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the chocolate mousse, place 200 ml of whipping cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add broken chocolate and whisk until completely melted. Add 1 tablespoon of Amaretto and mix. Place in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Beat the rest of whipping cream until stiff peaks form (don't overwhip). Using the spatula, fold gently the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until incorporated well.
- Divide chocolate mixture between 6 medium-sized glasses. Refrigerate for 1 hour and shortly before serving sprinkle with crushed caramelised almonds.
- For caramelised almonds, place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of water. Put over medium heat and let it melt. Once it becomes a dark brown add chopped almonds. Mix it quickly with a wooden spoon, so that the nuts are coated with the caramel. Pour the mixture over oiled plate or baking paper and let it cool. Once it's cooled, crush it using a rolling pin.
- Don't overwhip the whipping cream as you will get lumps in the mousse once you combine it with melted chocolate.
- If you store the chocolate mousse in the fridge for longer or overnight, take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving. This way you will get creamier and softer mousse.
Some other recipes you would love