Chestnut Flour Cookies
There is something so satisfying about both making and eating these lovely homemade cookies. On top of being and easy recipe to remember, these cookies are made in just one bowl and bake up fast.
For these cookies we used combination of regular plain flour and rather unusual chestnut flour made from dried and ground chestnuts. This flour is pale brown and has specific nutty flavour and in addition it is gluten-free. Chestnut flour has its natural sweetnest so the amount of sugar is reduced to the minimum. This is great for those who want to bake with less sugar.
Chestnut flour can be bought from special food stores across Italy as well as ordered online. The best quality chestnut flour can be bought directly from the local producers in Italy.
Chestnut flour is nowdays used all over Italy, but in some areas such as Tuscany, Liguria, Emilia-Romagna and the Apennines, the chestnut flour is traditionally used for preparation of a variety of delights such as necci, castagnaccio, pasta, gnocchi etc.
You will adore these simple and sweet cookies which are ideal treat along a cup of tea or a coffee!
Shop from a wide range of amazing products
Chestnut Flour Cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus chilling
- 150 g plain flour
- 100 g chestnut flour
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 g butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
- Sift both flours into a medium bowl, add sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add slightly softened butter (remove from the fridge and let it stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes) and milk to the flour and mix everything with your hands until you get a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough in a cling film and put in the fridge to rest for at least half an hour.
- Dust a clean surface and roll the dough out so it's about 5-6 mm thick. Cut the dough into shapes using your favourite cookie cutters and transfer them on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the cookies at 170°C for about 8 to 10 minutes roughly or until the cookie is beginning to turn golden brown. Be careful to not overbake them.
- Let cookies cool on the tray for about 2 minutes and then transfer them with thin metal spatula on a wire rack to cook completely. Store them in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Chestnut Flour Cookies
Some other recipes you would love