Chestnut Flour Castagnole Recipe
Castagnole are one of the most popular fried sweets served up throughout Carnival season in Venice. If you're heading to Venice during the Carnival, you will find them in many pastry shops, but they are surprisingly simple to whip up at home.
We used here uncommon combination of flours for castagnole combining plain, chestnut and almond flours. This combination adds specific full flavour to these fried sweets. We didn't add any sugar or other sweetener as we used chestnut flour which is naturally sweet.
These castagnole wouldn't be the same without that orange flavour we got from the juice and zest of fresh organic orange. If you would like to make full gluten-free version you just skip the plain flour and increase the amount of other two which are gluten-free.
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- 100 g chestnut flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 g ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- juice & zest of one orange
- pinch of salt
- oil for frying
- Sift the chestnut flour and plain flour to the large bowl to get rid of lumps and then add almond flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Combine everything together using a spoon.
- Make a well in the centre and break the eggs into it. Whisk them slightly and then add orange juice, orange zest, ricotta and one tablespoon of amaretto liqueur. Begin to stir all the ingredients with a spatula until everything is combined.
- Now, knead the dough until you have a smooth and slightly sticky ball. Wrap it in cling film and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Fill 3/4 of a deep, medium-sized frying pan with sunflower oil. Place it over a medium heat until the oil shimmers.
- Form the small balls of the size of chestnuts from the dough and fry them in batches until crisp and golden all around (for about 3-4 minutes).
- Drain them with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Leave them to cool slightly, then dust with icing sugar and enjoy them while still warm.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Chestnut Flour Castagnole Recipe
Other recipes you may like