Cassatelle di Agira Recipe
These delicious pastries originates from the island of Sicily. The shortcrust pastry is stuffed with a filling of cocoa, cinnamon, almond, lemon and orange zest. They are baked in the oven until crisp and golden.
- 600 g plain flour
- 200 g sugar
- 250 g butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 300 g almonds
- 250 g sugar
- 370 ml water
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 orange zest
- 1 lemon zest
- 40 g chickpea flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- icing sugar
- Make the dough by mixing together the flour, sugar, butter, egg and a couple of tablespoons of water, until you get a smooth dough. Wrap the dough with cling film and leave to rest for an hour.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. Add all the ingredients (except the chickpea flour) to a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Then add the chickpea flour and stir with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps. Cook the mixture until thick.
- Roll the dough into thin sheet and cut into rounds (8.5 cm in diameter). Place a spoonful of filling in the middle of each pastry round and fold, making sure edges are well-sealed.
- Brush each pastry with extra virgin olive oil and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven on 170°C for about 25 minutes - until cassatelle are golden. Allow them to cook for about 15 minutes and dust with icing sugar.
Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Cassatelle di Agira Recipe
You may also like