Home > Italian Dessert Recipes > Brutti ma Buoni
Brutti ma Buoni
These chewy and hearty cookies are called brutti ma buoni in Italian, or "ugly but good". But we think that they are not as ugly as the name implies. For these cookies you will need only several ingredients - egg whites, hazelnuts and sugar.
They are perfect for those intolerant to gluten because they don't have any flour in it. The exterior is wonderfully crisp and the interior soft and chewy.
These cookies have a crisp exterior with soft and chewy centre. This is yet another traditional cookie recipe that can be found in many versions across Italy. We found that this recipe is our favourite one for these delicious cookies. Brutti ma buoni are ideal for enjoying with an afternoon cup of coffee.
How to make brutti ma buoni cookies
For making brutti ma buoni toast the hazelnuts in the oven until fragrant then rub them to remove the skin. Using food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until finely chopped. Now, beat the egg whites with sugar in a mixing bowl until soft peaks formed. Using spatula gently fold hazelnuts. Spoon the batter on a baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes. Enjoy these delicious chewy hazelnut cookies. For more details in preparing brutti ma buoni check the recipe card below.
Useful tips for perfect brutti ma buoni
- Be sure to grease the baking paper before placing the batter so cookies don't stick while baking.
- These cookies are not suitable for making too far in advance or for freezing.
All your favourite recipes in one place
You may also like following recipes
Brutti ma Buoni
COOKS IN: 40 minutes
- 2 egg whites
- 60 g caster sugar
- 100 g hazelnuts
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread the hazelnuts on a large baking tray and toast for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the nuts are fragrant and the skins blister. Transfer the hazelnuts to a kitchen towel and let cool, then rub them together to remove their skin.
- In a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until finely chopped. Scrape the hazelnut mixture into a medium bowl.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until soft peaks are formed. Gently fold in hazelnuts.
- Line the baking tray with baking paper and grease it so the cookies don't stick to it. Spoon the batter on the baking tray with a tablespoon about 2 cm apart.
- Bake the cookies for about in the oven preheated to 140°C for about 15 - 20 minutes or until dry and firm to touch. Let the cookies cool before serving.
Some other recipes you would love