Aglio Olio e Peperoncino Recipe
This pasta sauce recipe is one of the most easiest Italian pasta recipes. It is a classic Roman pasta dish made with very few basic ingredients. In the time it takes to cook the pasta you can have the sauce cooked and ready for the table. We don't have do remind you to use only the best ingredients for this simple dish. For this recipe it's common to use spaghetti but we think that it goes well with any long shaped pasta.
Aglio Olio e Peperoncino
- 400 g pasta
- 60 ml of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dried peperoncino (red chilli pepper)
- fresh basil or parsley
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes or until al dente. Drain the spaghetti al dente, that is, nearly but not quite done and still a bit chalky in the middle. About 2-3 minutes before the box says. IMPORTANT: reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the finely chopped garlic and chilli without letting them brown. Add the chopped basil/parsley to the pan and remove from the heat.
- When the oil has cooled for a couple of minutes, add a 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water and reduce over high heat by about half. This will take a few seconds. Then add the drained pasta (cooked al dente) and stir vigorously as it continues to cook.
- Now add the remaining pasta water a little at a time to finish cooking the pasta. Season with salt and serve immediately.
Home > Italian Pasta Recipes > Aglio Olio e Peperoncino Recipe
Selection of great Italian cookbooks
Some other recipes you would love